Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Tent Life Haiti: Photographs By Wyatt Gallery



Beauty can be found in the strangest of places. The earthquake in Haiti was one of the worst natural disasters that our generation and humankind as a whole has ever experienced. I think that it really hit home for me because I live here in Brooklyn amongst one of the largest Haitian immigrant communities in the United States. I have friends whose families were directly affected. Their pain transversely became my pain. I can never ever pretend to understand what it is like to loose your family or your home to such a catastrophic event but I can begin to try. As a social work student ( and more importantly as a human being) I think it  essential for us to strive towards helping our fellow men, foreign and local. Wyatt Gallery has always been one of my favorites. He's an American nomadic photographer who travels the world photographing various ethnic cultures. I first came across Wyatt a few years ago through his affiliation with Island People, a Trinidadian Mas Community. Wyatt travelled to Haiti in the aftermath of the earthquake and was able to take some spellbinding and heart wrenching photos of the tent community there. He compiled the photos into a remarkable book Tent Life Haiti published by Umbridge Books. The book also has narration by Haitian poet laureate Edwidge Danticat. I recently purchased a copy of the book on Amazon via Housing Works, an organization that raises funds for people her in New York City living with HIV/Aids. I was so excited about the whole project that I just had to share some of the images. I even found fashion inspired images in the book that leads me to believe that beauty can indeed come from the most unexpected places. Hopefully the exhibit will come to New York soon and I attend. I thin that it is important that we never forget about the suffereing that goes on around the world. I encourage you to take  a moment each day to appreciate all that you have especially in this holiday season.









Add caption

No comments:

Post a Comment